So today, to top off my pie, I’ve given myself a Zest Quest to find *the* flakiest pastry since pastry, pie and pasties were invented. The trouble is, there’s so many different recipes with varying quantities of butter to flour and everything else in between. I’ve presented my version below but I feel it really needs some work. Please can you help?
Gluten Free Puff Pastry
200g gluten free White Bread Flour (is bread flour best for this)
150g butter, chilled (would a vegetable based margarine or hard fat work best here? And which quantities of both would work best?)
Gluten free flour, to dust
pinch of salt to taste
- Put the flour, salt and water into a bowl, mix together and form into a sticky ball of dough (should it really be a sticky dough???)
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut the butter into 2mm/⅛” thick slices (should it really be this thin?!), spread them out on a plate and refrigerate.
- Dust the work surface liberally with flour, (could I use oil or something instead if I didn’t have any extra flour?) place the dough in the middle and dust dough with flour. Gently roll the dough into 20x30cm/8×12″ rectangle.
- Place a third of the chilled butter slices, in lines just touching each other, in the middle of the dough (is this really the best technique? Is there an alternative way that works just as well?)
- Gently lift the left and right sides of dough over the butter to meet in the middle and press around the edges to enclose all of the butter.
- Fold the dough in half pinching the pastry together to cover any exposed butter.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes after each turn (from personal experience this works best)
- Repeat this folding technique twice more
Photos of my recipe to follow soon! Follow me on Instagram at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/emiwoo/albums/72157649165463891
Happy Beautiful day folks,
The New Zest and Fresh Manager,